2016 Ham and Macaroni au Gratin
- 5 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 c onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 c milk
- 1 c shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch cayene
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 c diced cooked ham
- 1 c thawed frozen peas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
1. Cook elbow macaroni al dente, per package instructions, drain, set aside.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over med heat.
3. Add onions, cook 2 minutes.
4. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Gradually stir in milk, cook 1 minute or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat.
6. Add Swiss cheese, stirring until melted.
7.Stir in nutmeg, cayene and salt and pepper.
8. Add ham, pasta and peas to sauce, stir.
9. Scrape into a greased 1-quart baking dish and bake about 20 minutes, or until bubbly.