Nilla Banana Pudding
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 45 NILLA Wafers, divided
- 5 ripe bananas, sliced (about 3 1/2 cups), divided
- Additional NILLA Wafers and banana slices, for garnish
Cooking time 60mins
1. Mix 1 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
Blend in 6 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water,
stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove
from heat; stir in vanilla.
2. Reserve 10 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard
on bottom of 2-quart casserole; cover with a layer of wafers
and a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over
bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make
a total of 3 layers of each, ending with custard.
3. Beat 3 egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining
1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of
pudding, spreading evenly to cover entire surface and sealing well
4. Bake at 350°F in top half of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or
until browned. Cool slightly or refrigerate. Garnish with
additional wafers and banana slices just before serving.
Makes 8 servings