White Turkey Chili
- SERVING GARNISHES:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound uncooked turkey breast slices cut 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 3 cups chicken stock or more if needed (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeño chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory
- 1 can cannellini beans - (15 to 16 oz) rinsed, drained (or Great Northern beans)
- 1 garbanzo beans, chickpeas - (15 to 16 oz) rinsed, drained
- Several dashes hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
Heat vegetable oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add cubed turkey breast and ground turkey. Sauté until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
Add 3 cups stock, barley, jalapeños, marjoram and summer savory to turkey mixture. Cover and simmer until barley is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
Add cannellini and garbanzo beans to chili. Simmer uncovered until barley is tender and chili is thick, about 15 minutes. Season with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)
Serve chili, passing green onions, cheese and sour cream separately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.