White Chocolate Rice Pudding With Dried Cranberry Compote
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup long-grain white rice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 4 ounces good-quality white chocolate chopped (such as Lindt or Baker's)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Dried Cranberry Compote (see recipe)
Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
Reduce heat to low. Whisk egg yolks and cream in small bowl. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup rice mixture; return to same pan and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly (do not boil).
Remove from heat. Add chocolate; stir until melted. Stir in orange peel and cardamom. Transfer pudding to bowl; cover and chill until cold. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Spoon pudding into bowls. Top with Dried Cranberry Compote.
This recipe yields 6 servings.