Warm Arugula Salad With Garlic Croutons
- 1 garlic head
- 4 tablespoons olive oil plus
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped shallots
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large red onions sliced 1/4"-thick, and rings separated
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 cups day-old sourdough bread in 1/2" cubes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 cups arugula leaves - (packed) abt 10 oz
- 1 cup grated smoked mozzarella cheese - (packed) abt 4 oz
For Vinaigrette: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place garlic in small baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Cover dish tightly with foil; bake until garlic is tender, about 50 minutes. Cool. Squeeze roasted garlic from skins into medium bowl. Mash with fork. Add 3/4 cup oil, shallots, 3 tablespoons vinegar, and thyme. Whisk to blend well. Season with salt and pepper.
Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees. Oil large rimmed baking sheet. Arrange onion rings on sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil; toss to coat. Roast until tender and brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar; toss to coat. Add onions to vinaigrette in bowl. Maintain oven temperature.
For Salad: Melt butter in heavy medium ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add bread cubes and rosemary and toss to combine. Transfer to oven and bake until croutons are golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.
Place arugula in large bowl. Add cheese and toss to combine. Transfer vinaigrette to medium saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until hot. Pour hot dressing over arugula salad and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with croutons and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Vietnamese Shrimp And Crab... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal With Gorgonzola And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tuscan Bean And Roasted Garlic... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scallops And Spinach Fettuccine,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Romaine And Gorgonzola Salad,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Escarole With Italian Sausage And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Arugula, Blood Orange, And Blue... 0/5 (0 Votes)