Paleo Carrot Spice Muffin
When grating the carrots for these Paleo Carrot Muffins, use the fine side of your box grater. The finely-shredded carrots will provide a lighter and more tender texture to the muffins. As soon as you take the muffins out of the oven, tip them sideways in the muffin pan. This will allow the trapped steam to escape, which will prevent extra moisture from condensing at the bottom of the muffins. There you go. Now you can make carrot muffins like a real pro.
- 6 eggs, (separated white and yolk)
- 1/2 cup honey or agave nector, or less to taste
- 1 3/4 cups carrots, cooked and pureed
- Grated orange rind from 1 orange
- 1 cup fresh squeeze orange juice reduced to 2 tablespoons concentrate (this makes it sweeter, but you can also just add 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamon
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Beat the egg yolks and honey together.
Mix in carrot puree, orange rind, orange juice, almond flour, coconut, salt and spices. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold in.
Spoon batter into greased muffin tins or a pan. Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the muffin/cake comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Note: I agree with the original recipe notes that anything could probably be put in place of the carrots – Pumpkin, zucchini etc., since the vegetable is pureed first.
You'll also love
- Italian Spinach Ricotta Quiche 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Greek Pasta Salad 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Jerky Lovers Beef Jerky - Sweet &... 4.3/5 (35 Votes)
- Spinach Dip (a.k.a. J Alexanders) 3.9/5 (111 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Cheddar Bay Almond Flour Biscuits 4.3/5 (26 Votes)
- Carrot-Apple Juice 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Decadent Red Velvet Scones 4.5/5 (18 Votes)