Grandma's Best Dairy-Free Carrot Cake
Frost the cake with a dairy-free "cream-cheese" frosting or a simple glaze.
- 6 Cups grated carrots
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped raisins
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 70mins
1. Combine the grated carrots and brown sugar in a medium bowl and set aside for an hour.
After the two have had some good mingling time, stir in the raisins.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and grease and flour two 10-inch cake pans, or three
8-inch cake pans, or two 8-inch cake pans + cupcake tins, or one bundt pan.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and briefly
set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, and gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and
vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Stir the flour mix into the wet mixture, being careful not to
over mix. Gently fold in the carrot mixture and nuts.
4. Pour the batter evenly into your prepared pans. Bake as follows: 10-inch pans - 40 - 50
minutes, 8-inch pans - 30 - 35 minutes, Cupcakes - 20 - 22 minutes, bundt pan 60
minutes, or for all, until the cake(s) are springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into
the center comes out clean.
5. Place the pans on a wire rack to cool for 10-20 minutes before removing from the pan.
6. Once the cake is completely cool, then you can frost it or drizzle with icing.