Stovetop Thanksgiving Stuffing
This Stovetop Thanksgiving Stuffing is the perfect stuffing for your Thanksgiving feast! Filled with apples, craisins, and mushrooms, we promise you're going to love it!
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf crusty bread
- 2 cups chicken, turkey, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/4 cup dried craisins
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, stripped from their stems and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
The night before, cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Spread it out on a baking sheet. Leave it on the counter overnight to dry out a bit.
To make the stuffing: Heat the broth in a small (1-quart) saucepan over low heat, or in a measuring cup in the microwave until piping-hot. Add the salt.
In a large (4- to 5-quart) saucepan, soup pot, or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, apple, craisins, mushrooms, and garlic and stir to coat with the butter. Cover the pot and let the vegetables sweat for 10 minutes, until the onions and celery are softened and translucent.
Uncover the pot and add the sage and thyme, stirring them into the onions and celery. Sauté for a minute or two, just to wake up the herbs a bit and let their flavor permeate the vegetables. Add the bread cubes to the pot and stir well, so all of the bread gets moistened by the butter and vegetables.
Pour in the hot broth and stir once more, so all of the bread is soaked with some of the broth. Cover the pot, then turn off the heat and let sit on the stove for 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl and serve hot.
You'll also love
- Goat Cheese, Cranberry & Walnut... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Chicken Barley Stew 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Corn Casserole with Sour Cream 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Christmas Eve Beef Stew 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Baked Creamy Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Cornbread Sausage Stuffing with... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Nanny's Thanksgiving Dressing 4.3/5 (31 Votes)
- Sausage Stuffing 4.5/5 (19 Votes)