Hot German Potato Salad
- 6 medium potatoes, scrubbed
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/16 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 large eggs, hard-cooked, sliced
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Combine potatoes with enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes; drain well. Let stand to cool. Peel and slice the potatoes.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in skillet. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
3. Cook the onion in the reserved bacon drippings, stirring continually, until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, granulated sugar, salt, celery seed and black pepper.
4. Add water and vinegar to onion mixture. Cook, stirring continually, until thickened, about 4 minutes.
5. Add potatoes and bacon. Cook, tossing lightly to mix, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
6. Add eggs and toss lightly to mix. Transfer mixture to a serving dish. Serve immediately.