Root Vegetable Gratin
- 1/2 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled, sliced thin (about 5 cups 1/8"-thick slices)
- 8 ounces carrots peeled, sliced thin (about 1 1/2 cups 1/8"-thick slices)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (abt 3 1/2 oz)
- 4 ounces celery root peeled, sliced thin (about eight 1/8"-thick rounds)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish with melted butter. Arrange 1/4 of potatoes evenly over bottom of baking dish. Arrange half of carrots evenly over potatoes. Arrange 1/4 of potatoes evenly over carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over. Arrange celery root evenly over cheese; arrange 1/4 of potatoes evenly over celery root. Arrange remaining carrots evenly over potatoes. Arrange remaining potatoes evenly over carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour cream over vegetables. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup cheese over top.
Cover vegetables with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until vegetables are tender and top is golden, about 35 minutes longer. Remove gratin from oven and let cool 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings as a side dish.