Jalapeno Popper Chicken Empanadas
Flaky pastry crust wraps itself around shredded chicken, cream cheese, cheddar, corn and jalapeños to make these golden brown beauties.
- 4 store-bought refrigerated pie crusts.
- 8 ounces full fat or light cream cheese
- 2 overflowing cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 + 1/2 cups fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounce can diced jalapenos, drained
- 1/2 cup corn
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
Adapted from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com
* Melt the cream cheese in a microwave proof bowl until warm enough to stir about 25 - 50 seconds.
* Add the chicken to a large mixing bowl with the cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar, jalapenos and corn.
* Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
* In a small bowl beat the egg and milk together.
* Fill a separate small bowl with cold water.
* Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them with oil.
•Unrol pastry crust and cut out 4-inch circles using a biscuit/cookie cutter or a bowl and paring knife.
* Place about 1 tablespoon of the filling onto each circle.
* Use a pastry brush or your fingers to paint the edges of each circle with water then fold over and press the edges together with the tines of a fork.
* Refrigerate them for 20 minutes.
* Repeat until all the filling is used re-rolling scraps of dough if needed.
* Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the empanadas lightly with the egg mixture and bake 14 - 17 minutes until golden brown and piping hot in the centers.
* Serve hot or at room temperature.