Chicken Barley Stew
- 4 teaspoons Olive Oil, Divided
- ◾1 pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, Cut Into 3/4-inch Pieces
- ◾1 teaspoon Salt, Divided
- ◾1 teaspoon Ground Pepper, Divided
- ◾1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
- ◾2 Medium Carrots, Cut Into 1/2-circles
- ◾1 stalk Celery, Cut Into 1/2-inch Dice
- ◾3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- ◾1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ◾1 cup Pearl Barley
- ◾4 cups Chicken Broth
- ◾1 can (14 Oz. Size) Petite Diced Tomatoes
- ◾1/4 cup Minced Flat-leaf Parsley
Adapted from thepioneerwoman.com
Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon ground pepper, and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the saucepan. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, thyme and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoons ground pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the pearl barley, chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, 50–60 minutes. Stir in the chicken and parsley. Serve.
You'll also love
- General Tso’s Chickpeas 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Spiked Shrimp and Sausage 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Moms Divinity 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Baked Creamy Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- One Pan Cajun Chicken Dinner 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Korean Steamed Pork Buns 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Thai Pumpkin Soup 4.6/5 (10 Votes)