Layered Mozzarella and Tomato Salad
- Our Favourite Vinaigrette:
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 lb fresh mozza, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Nicoise olives
- 1/2 cup "Our Favourite Vinaigrette"
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tb dijon style mustard
- 4 tb red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Minced parsley and/or snipped fresh chives, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
1) On large serving platter, alternate overlapping slices of tomato and mozzarella cheese.
2) Sprinkle basil, parsley and black olives over all.
3) Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and grind black pepper on generously. Serve at room temperature.
Our Favourite Vinaigrette:
1)Measure mustard into a bowl. Whisk in vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and herbs to taste.
2) Continue to whisk mixture while slowly dribbling in olive oil until mixture thickens. Adjust seasoning to taste. Cover until ready to use. (Vinaigrette is best if made just before it is to be used). If necessary, whisk again before serving. Makes 1 cup.