POUND CAKE WITH FRUIT SALSA
- Sassy Fruit Salsa
- 1 1/3 cups large chunks peeled kiwifruit (2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped peeled oranges (2 medium)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot, if desired
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- Powdered sugar, if desired
In large bowl, mix salsa ingredients. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled.
Heat oven to 325°F. Generously grease and flour 10- or 12-cup fluted tube cake pan, or spray with baking spray with flour. In medium bowl, beat cake mix, milk, cream cheese, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 2 minutes longer. Pour into pan.
Bake 38 to 44 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; turn upside down onto cooling rack or heatproof serving plate and remove pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
Place cake on serving plate; sprinkle with powdered sugar. Stir salsa; serve with cake. Store cake loosely covered. Store salsa covered in refrigerator.
Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® lemon cake mix would add extra zip to this recipe; just omit the vanilla.
Leftover cake? Layer 1-inch cake cubes, whipped cream and fresh fruit in goblets. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour before serving