Tofu Puffs With Long Beans And Mushroom
- FOR THE DISH:
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock (or canned vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese black vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons oyster-flavoured sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 ounces Chinese long beans cut 2" lengths
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed, and caps quartered
- 2 tablespoons bamboo shoots cut thin strips
- 2 cups tofu puffs
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fermented bean curd (optional), mashed, and crumbled
Stir the vegetable stock, soy sauce, vinegar, oyster-flavored sauce, sugar and pepper together in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
For the Dish: Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the vegetable oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the beans, mushrooms and bamboo shoots and stir-fry for 1 minute. Pour in the sauce, then stir in the tofu puffs. Adjust the heat so the sauce is simmering, cover the wok, and simmer until the beans are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Stir in the bean sprouts and cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Stir in the sesame oil, then scoop onto a warm serving platter. Serve with fermented bean curd sprinkled over the top, if you like.
This recipe yields 4 servings.