Three-Pepper Game Hen
- FOR THE PEPPER SAUCE:
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cornish game hen - (1 1/2 lbs) skinned, boned (or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon ground bean sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly-cracked black peppercorns
- FOR THE DISH:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 teaspoon salted black beans rinsed, mashed
- 1/8 teaspoon toasted ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
Stir the salt, sugar and cornstarch together in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add the game hen pieces and toss well to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
For the Pepper Sauce: Stir the stock, ground bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and black peppercorns together in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
For the Dish: Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add the butter, garlic, black beans and Sichuan peppercorns and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the game hen and stir-fry until no longer pink, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Scoop the hen from the wok and set aside.
Return the wok to the heat and add the sugar snap peas and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Return the game hen to the wok and pour in the pepper sauce. Cook until heated through, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Scoop onto a serving platter and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.