Tangy Shrimp-Topped Sizzling Rice
- FOR THE DISH:
- 2/3 cup chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fermented rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 red jalapeño chili pepper seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2/3 pound raw medium shrimp shelled, deveined
- 1 cup cubed bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup quartered water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 purchased rice crusts
In medium bowl, combine the stock, ketchup, fermented rice, vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and sugar; stir until the sugar dissolves.
For the Dish: Prepare a 2-quart saucepan for deep-frying. Heat the oil, for deep-frying to 350 degrees while making the stir-fry.
Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add the 1 tablespoon oil, swirling to coat the sides. Add the ginger and red jalapeño pepper, stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp; cook until the shrimp begin to turn pink, about 30 seconds. Add the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and sauce. Cook until the shrimp are cooked through, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Pour in the cornstarch solution; cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and begins to thicken. Remove the wok from the heat.
Carefully slide the rice crusts into the hot oil for deep-frying. Cook, turning occasionally, until the crusts have puffed and are light brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon to drain and place directly onto serving platter. Immediately pour the shrimp mixture over the hot rice crusts and listen to the rice crusts sizzle.
This recipe yields 4 servings.