Sweet And Tangy Catfish Fillet
- FOR THE DISH:
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 3/4 pound catfish fillets (or other white fish fillets, such as sea bass or striped bass)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- 3 slices peeled ginger - (quarter size)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cilantro sprigs
- 1 leek, white part only cut thin strips
Stir the stock, sugar, chili sauce, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
For the Dish: Remove any bones or skin from the catfish and cut into about equal pieces. Pat them dry.
Beat the egg lightly in a wide shallow bowl. Spread the cornstarch out on to a plate. Dust each piece of fish with cornstarch, then dip in the beaten egg to coat it evenly. Allow any excess egg to drip back into the bowl, then return the egg-coated fish to the cornstarch and turn to coat all sides evenly.
Place a wide, deep skillet over medium heat and pour in enough oil to fill 1/4 inch. When the oil is shimmering, add the ginger slices and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Carefully slide the fish into the hot oil. Fry, turning the pieces once, until evenly golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Remove all but 1 tablespoon of oil from pan. (Or, if you are not comfortable draining hot oil, simply use 1 tablespoon of the frying oil in a fresh pan.) Place the pan over medium-high heat. When hot, pour in the sauce and bring to a boil. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
Arrange the fish on a serving platter and spoon the sauce around the pieces. Scatter the cilantro and leeks over the fish and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Stir-Fry Soybean Sprouts With Bean... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Stir-Fry Beef With Bitter Melon 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Steamed Whole Lobster With Dried... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Steamed Shrimp Bouquets 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Steamed Fish With Mushrooms And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Singapore Fish Head Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Cajun Catfish 0/5 (0 Votes)