Steamed Shrimp Bouquets
- 12 large shrimp - (abt 1 lb) peeled, deveined, and tails left intact
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed, and caps cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup smoked ham in thin strips
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced bamboo shoots
- 1/4 cup sliced carrot strips about 2" long
- 1/4 cup snow peas in thin strips
- 1/4 cup green onion in 2" lengths (or 12 garlic chive flowers)
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/3 cup chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in
- 2 teaspoons water
Prepare the bundles: Butterfly the shrimp. Cut a slit lengthwise along the back of the shrimp. Push the tail through the slit, then insert a couple of each strip (shiitake, ham, bamboo shoots, carrot, snow peas and green onion) into the same opening. Repeat with the remaining shrimp and strips, placing the shrimp bundles into a 9-inch glass pie dish as you work.
Prepare a wok for steaming. Set the pie dish into the steamer basket, cover the wok and steam over high heat until shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
Heat a skillet over high heat until hot. Add oil, swirl to coat the sides. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the stock, sesame oil, salt and white pepper and bring to a boil. Pour in the dissolved cornstarch, bring to a boil and cook until the sauce is lightly thickened, about 30 seconds. Pour the sauce over the steamed shrimp bundles and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.