Mushroom-Leek Soup With Brie Croutons
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 3 large leeks, white and pale green parts only thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms stemmed, sliced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons dry Sherry
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 green onions sliced
- 12 slices French-bread baguette, 1/4" thick
- 1/2 pound Brie frozen, rind
- removed, cheese cut into 1/4"-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and all mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes. Add flour and stir 1 minute. Gradually mix in stock. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Add cream and Sherry and simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in green onions. (Soup can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 10 minutes. Cool. Top croutons with cheese slices.
Preheat broiler. Place 6 ovenproof bowls or soufflé dishes on baking sheet. Bring soup to simmer; ladle into bowls. Top each with 2 croutons. Broil until cheese is completely melted, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
This recipe yields 6 (first-course) servings.
Freezing the Brie firms it, so removing the rind and slicing the cheese are much easier.