Steamed Fish With Mushrooms And Baby Bok Choy
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3/4 pound white fish fillet, such as grouper, halibut or sea bass cut into pieces, abt 2" long, 1 1/2" wide, and 1/2" th
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 teaspoon oyster-flavoured sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- FOR THE DISH:
- 1 piece dried tangerine peel - (abt 1 1/2" square)
- 4 dried black mushrooms
- 12 pieces thinly-sliced Smithfield ham (abt 1/3 lb) (or other smoked ham)
- 2 heads baby bok choy quartered lengthwise
- through the core (or other Asian greens, such as gai lan or choy sum)
Stir the sesame oil, salt, pepper and tangerine peel together until the salt is dissolved. Toss the fish slices gently in the marinade until coated. Let stand for 10 minutes.
For the Sauce: Stir the stock, rice wine, oyster-flavored sauce and dissolved cornstarch together in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens slightly.
For the Dish: Pour enough warm water over the tangerine peel and mushrooms in separate bowls to cover them completely. Soak until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain. Mince the tangerine peel. Discard the mushroom stems and slice each cap into three pieces.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Arrange the fish, mushrooms and ham in an alternating overlapping pattern over the bottom of a glass pie plate. Prepare a wok for steaming. Set the dish into the steamer and steam over high heat until the fish is opaque, 4 to 5 minutes.
While the fish is steaming, cook the bok choy in the boiling water until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain.
Arrange the baby bok choy around the fish and drizzle the sauce over the fish and vegetables.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Steamed Beef Meatballs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Grilled Chicken Thighs A La... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Eggplant 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Clam With Pork Sausage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Singapore Fish Head Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shanghainese Wok Seared Fish In... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sa Cha Tofu With Broccoli And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Parchment-Baked Squab With... 0/5 (0 Votes)