Silken Tofu With Mushrooms And Black Vinegar Sauce
- FOR THE DISH:
- 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed, and caps thinly sliced
- 5 oyster mushrooms tough ends trimmed
- 3/4 cup chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1 package soft tofu - (14 oz) drained, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 green onion trimmed, minced
Stir the black vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and chili flakes together in a small bowl until well blended.
For the Dish: Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add the garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the mushrooms, stirring constantly, and cook for about 30 seconds. Pour in the chicken stock, cover the wok and cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 2 minutes.
Slide the tofu gently into the wok, cover and cook until the tofu is heated through, about 2 minutes. Pour in the sauce, bring to a boil, then stir in the dissolved cornstarch. Stir gently until the sauce boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Scoop onto a warm serving platter, sprinkle with the green onion and serve hot.
This recipe yields 4 servings.