HAMBURGER PHILLIES, OPEN-FACED
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup creamy Italian dressing
- 1 loaf (1 lb) Italian bread (12 inches long), halved lengthwise
- 4 slices (6 oz) thinly sliced provolone cheese, quartered
1 In 12-inch skillet, cook ground beef, bell peppers and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in 1/4 cup of the dressing.
2 Spread remaining 1/4 cup dressing on cut sides of bread. Place both halves, cut sides up, on ungreased large cookie sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove bread from broiler. Spread beef mixture on cut halves of bread. Top with cheese.
3 Return to broiler; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut each half into 2 pieces.
Italian bread has a dense texture, so it works well for these hot broiled sandwiches.
•You can use any meltable cheese for these sandwiches, such as American, mozzarella or Gouda.