Ellie Krieger's Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansno salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth; bring to a boil.
Decrease heat to med-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
Working with about 1 cup at a time, puree the soup in a blender until smooth, then transfer the puree to another pot (alternatively, you can use an immersion blender).
Stir in the cream, sugar, salt, and white pepper; taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve garnished with the chives.