Lentil Soup With Andouille Sausage
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 4 1/2 cups beef stock or canned broth
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 6 ounces andouille sausage halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Combine both stocks and lentils in large pot over high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat medium skillet over medium heat. Add fennel; sauté until seeds are light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove seeds from skillet.
Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add celery, carrot and onion; sauté until onion is translucent and celery and carrot are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add toasted fennel seeds, sautéed vegetables, sausage, thyme and Creole seasoning to soup. Cover and simmer until lentils are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.)
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.3/5 (957 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (712 Votes)
- Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip 4.5/5 (184 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bulgur Risotto With Peas And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chipotle Shrimp, Black Bean-Quinoa... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- French Veal 0/5 (0 Votes)
- London Broil Turkey 0/5 (0 Votes)