- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 2/3 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
- Sugar for coating
Mix flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt and cloves in medium bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Beat in dry ingredients (dough will be very soft). Cover bowl with plastic. Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter 2 large baking sheets. Place sugar in shallow dish. Form dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll each ball in sugar to coat. Arrange cookies on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Using bottom of glass, gently press dough balls to form 1 1/2- to 1 3/4-inch rounds. Bake until cookies puff slightly but are still soft, about 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack and cool. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Store in airtight container.)
This recipe yields about 28 cookies.