Hong Kong Wonton Noodle Bowl
- 1 package fresh thin Chinese egg noodles - (16 oz) (or dried spaghetti)
- 3 cups chicken, fish or mushroom vegetable stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 12 seafood or pork wontons (or pre-made frozen wontons)
- 1/4 cup yellow or green chives in 1" lengths (optional)
- 1 green onion trimmed, and chopped coarsely
- 1 sheet Japanese Seaweed (nori) cut in half, then cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Divide the noodles among 4 soup bowls.
Bring the stock, sesame oil, salt and pepper to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the wontons and cook until the wontons float to the top, 3 to 4 minutes. Divide the wontons and broth among the soup bowls. Scatter some of the chives, green onion, nori and sesame seeds over each bowl. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 4 servings.