Fujian Fancy Fried Rice
- FOR THE CHICKEN MARINADE:
- 2 ounces bay scallops
- 12 medium uncooked shrimp shelled, deveined
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 ounces boneless skinless chicken cut 1" pieces (breasts or thighs)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oyster-flavoured sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- == FOR THE FRIED RICE ===
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 cups cold cooked long-grain rice grains separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- FOR THE DISH:
- 4 dried black mushrooms
- 5 asparagus stalks cut diagonally
- into 1" pieces
- 1 roma tomato diced
In separate small bowls, toss the scallops and shrimp with 1 teaspoon cornstarch each.
For the Chicken Marinade: In a separate small bowl, stir the garlic, cornstarch, wine, soy sauce and ginger; add the chicken and toss gently to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
For the Sauce: Stir the stock, cornstarch, oyster-flavored sauce, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil together in a medium bowl.
For the Fried Rice: Heat a wok over medium-high heat until hot. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil. Pour the eggs into the wok and cook, stirring, until the eggs are slightly firm, about 30 seconds. Add the rice, salt, sugar, and pepper, stirring constantly until heated through. Transfer to a serving platter and cover with foil, shiny-side down, to keep warm.
For the Dish: Pour enough warm water over the mushrooms in a bowl to cover them completely. Let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Remove and discard the stems and cut the caps in quarters.
Return the wok to high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil, and swirl to coat the pan. Add the chicken and stir-fry until the chicken is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and scallops; stir-fry until the shrimp turn pink, about 1 minute. Add the asparagus, mushrooms and tomatoes and stir-fry until the asparagus is tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
Pour the sauce mixture into the wok and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and is lightly thickened. Scoop the contents of the wok over the fried rice and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.