Panko crusted spicy shrimp
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or more, as needed (for frying)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or make your own with 1 cup milk plus 1 T. vinegar)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs, Seasoned. (or substitute in your own homemade breadcrumbs|http://www.savoringthegood.com/2013/06/how-to-make-your-own-bread-crumbs/)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
Sauce: whisk together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, flour, cornstarch, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large bowl, combine Panko bread crumbs, onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste.
Working one at a time, dip shrimp into buttermilk mixture, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing to coat.
Working in small batches, add shrimp to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Serve immediately, drizzled with sweet chili sauce.