Fermented Chinese Olives Fried Rice
- FOR THE SEASONINGS:
- 1 tablespoon oyster-flavoured sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken minced (thighs or breasts)
- 1/4 cup chicken or mushroom vegetable stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- FOR THE DISH:
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice grains separated
- with fingers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped Chinese olives (or 1/4 cup pitted oil-cured olives)
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas thawed
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed, and caps diced
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 green onions trimmed, minced
Marinate the chicken: Stir the oyster-flavored sauce and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Stir the chicken into the marinade, mix well and let stand for 10 minutes.
For the Seasonings: Stir the stock, soy sauce, and sesame oil together in a small bowl.
For the Dish: Rub the rice between your fingers to separate the grains as much as possible. Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
Sprinkle the rice into the wok and stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the olives, peas and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Push the rice to the sides of the wok and pour the eggs into the center well. Scramble the eggs until set, then stir to combine the rice and egg. Add the seasonings and the green onions, and stir-fry until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Scoop the rice onto a warm serving platter and serve hot.
This recipe yields 4 servings.