Family-Style Fish With Bean Sprouts
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound firm white fish fillet abt 1/4" thk cut 1" by 2" slices (such as seabass, bass or halibut)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons oyster-flavoured sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- FOR THE DISH:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely-shredded ginger
- 2 green onions trimmed, and cut into 2" lengths
- 2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper cut thin strips
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh button mushroom
- Cilantro leaves
Stir the cornstarch and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the fish slices and toss gently to coat them evenly with the marinade. Set aside for 10 minutes.
For the Sauce: Stir the lemon juice, oyster-flavored sauce and pepper together in a small bowl.
For the Dish: Heat a wok over medium heat until hot. Pour in the oil. Add the marinated fish. Stir-fry gently until the fish is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Scoop the fish out onto a plate and set aside.
Add the ginger, green onions, bean sprouts, bell pepper and mushrooms to the wok and stir-fry until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Pour the sauce into the wok and slide in the cooked fish. Continue cooking until the fish is heated through, about 1 minute.
Scoop the contents of the wok onto a serving platter and scatter the cilantro leaves over the top.
This recipe yields 4 servings.