Korean Barbecued Short Ribs
- 2 pounds Korean-style beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 green onions, including tops finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds crushed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the ribs, stir to coat, cover, and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
Lift the ribs from the marinade and drain them briefly; reserve the marinade. Place the ribs on a greased grill 3 to 4 inches above a solid bed of low-glowing coals (or place them 2 to 3 inches below the heat on a rack in a broiler pan). Cook, turning once, until done to your liking, 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Meanwhile, bring the leftover marinade to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens. Transfer the ribs to a serving platter, pour the sauce over the ribs, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.