Creamy Chicken-Pasta Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots - (abt 2 med)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders cut 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas halved diagonally
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots and onion. Cook until celery and onion are tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Gradually mix in chicken stock. Bring soup to simmer, stirring frequently. Add half-and-half and chopped parsley and simmer 5 minutes.
Add chicken tenders and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes. (Chicken soup can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.)
Cook penne pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta.
Bring chicken soup to simmer. Mix in cooked pasta and sugar snap peas and simmer 2 minutes. Mix in lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 12 first-course or 6 main-course servings.
Sugar snap peas add crunch to this comforting soup. The restaurant uses penne pasta, but macaroni would also work well.