Fiery Sichuan Chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast cut 3/4" pieces
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chile garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- TO FINISH:
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 6 small dried red chiles
- 2 tablespoons chopped Sichuan preserved vegetable
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- sliced green onion
Place peppercorns in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently, until peppercorns darken slightly and smell toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Whirl in a blender until coarsely ground. Set aside.
Place chicken in a bowl. Add oyster sauce and stir to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl.
Place a wok or wide frying pan over high heat until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Add chiles and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 5 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add preserved vegetable, garlic and peppercorns and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add sauce and cook, stirring, until it boils and thickens.
Place on a serving platter and garnish with green onion.
This recipe yields 4 servings.