Crystal Wrap II
- 3/4 pound medium-size raw shrimp peeled, deveined, and diced
- 6 dried black mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 small carrot diced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 small zucchini diced
- 1/2 cup diced water chestnuts
- 2 green onions, including tops thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (or coarsely chopped peanuts)
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 tablespoon Shao Hsing wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and stir to coat. Set aside for 30 minutes.
Soak mushrooms in warm water to cover for 30 minutes; drain. Cut off and discard stems and dice caps.
Place a wok or wide frying pan over high heat until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Add ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 5 seconds. Add shrimp and stir-fry for 1 1/2 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from wok.
Add mushrooms, carrot and broth and cook for 1 minute. Add zucchini, water chestnuts and green onions and cook for 1 1/2 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Return shrimp to wok and add soy sauce and pepper. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in pine nuts. Transfer to a serving platter.
To eat, spread a little hoisin sauce on a lettuce leaf, spoon in some shrimp mixture, wrap lettuce around filling and eat out of hand.
This recipe yields 8 wraps.