Classic Mozzarella Sticks
Mozzarella cheese is delicious when coated with bread crumbs and quickly fried golden brown. It’s the perfect snack or appetizer- crunchy and satisfying on the outside and rich and creamy inside.
- Oil for frying
- 1 (8 oz) package mozzarella cheese
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional)
1. Pour oil into medium-size heavy saucepan or deep skillet to depth of 1 inch. Over medium heat, bring oil to 365"F on cooking thermometer, about 12 minutes. If oil is hot before cheese sticks are ready, turn off heat and bring back to temperature when ready to fry.
2. Meanwhile, cut cheese into strips 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. Line baking sheet with paper towels; set aside. Place flour on paper plate; roll cheese strips in flour to coat.
3. In shallow bowl, combine egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder.
4. One stick at a time, coat cheese sticks in egg wash, then in bread crumbs. Repeat process to coat each stick. Place sticks in single layer on paper plate.
5. Frying in small batches, carefully place sticks in hot oil. Cook until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon to lined baking sheet. Let oil return to 365ºF between batches.