Cinnamon-Raisin French Toast
- 7 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, 1 1/2" thk (or French bread)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - (about)
- Maple syrup (optional)
Whisk first 6 ingredients in 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Add bread to egg mixture and let soak 20 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add bread to skillet. Cook until golden brown, turning once and adding more butter as needed, about 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake until bread puffs up and is firm in middle, about 30 minutes.
Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Youll need to buy unsliced bread from a bakery to make this super-thick French toast.