- 3/4 pound large raw shrimp
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 fresh red jalapeño chile seeded, minced
- 1 fresh green jalapeño chile seeded, minced
- 2 green onions minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or 1/4 tspn salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Shell and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact, then butterfly them. Place in a medium bowl with cornstarch and salt; stir to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Toast coconut in a wok over low heat, stirring frequently, until golden-brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove coconut from wok.
Place wok over high heat until hot. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, swirling to coat sides. Add shrimp; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove shrimp.
Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and butter to wok, swirling to coat sides. Add garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add chiles and green onions; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Return shrimp to wok and add wine, soy sauce, sugar, and toasted coconut. Cook until heated through.
This recipe yields 4 servings.