Bean Curd Rolls
- 4 dried bean curd sheets (abt 7" by 21" ea)
- 2 dried black mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken
- 2 ounces Chinese sausage (optional)
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely-diced carrot
- 1/4 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon oyster-flavored sauce
- 2 tespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups cooked glutinous rice (or medium-grain rice)
- 24 pieces green onion tops
- Soy sauce as needed
Soak bean curd sheets in warm water to cover for 30 minutes; drain and cut each sheet into three 7-inch squares.
In separate bowls, soak dried mushrooms and dried shrimp in warm water to cover until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain. Discard mushroom stems and finely dice caps. Chop dried shrimp. Cut chicken (and sausage) into 1/4-inch cubes.
Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons oil, swirling to coat sides. Add garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add mushrooms and dried shrimp; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add chicken, Chinese sausage, carrot, and peas; stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Add broth, wine, white pepper, oyster-flavored sauce, and 2 teaspoons soy sauce. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in rice. Let filling cool.
To make each roll, place a bean curd square on work surface with 1 corner facing you. Place 2 rounded tablespoons of filling across wrapper slightly above the corner. Fold corner over filling, then roll over once. Fold in left and right sides, then roll up completely to enclose filling. Tie roll about 1 1/2 inches from each end with a blanched green onion top. Flatten foll slightly with your hand.
Place a wide frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Place rolls in pan and cook until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Serve hot with soy sauce for dipping.
This recipe yields 12 rolls.