- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound firm tofu drained, squeezed
- dry in cheesecloth and crumbled
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon coarsely-chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 6 hamburger buns (or 4 pita pocket breads, halved)
- Green onions
- Hoisin sauce
- Favorite hamburger condiments
Combine the patty ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions; lightly shape each portion into a patty, 3/4- to 1-inch thick. For pita bread, make 8 smaller patties.
Heat a wide frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Brush with the oil. Add the patties and cook to your liking, 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
Serve in buns or pita bread halves with your favorite condiments.
This recipe yields 6 servings.