Moroccan Lamb Tangine
- 3 pounds lamb (leg or shoulder) cut in 1" cubes
- 1 medium onion cut large squares
- 2 tomatoes chopped, with skin
- and seeds removed
- 2 medium carrots large diced
- 10 garlic cloves smashed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup lamb stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed ground
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed cracked
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup California raisins re-hydrated
Season lamb with salt, pepper, 1/2 the cumin and 1/2 the coriander. Meanwhile, heat large skillet with olive oil until smoking. Carefully add lamb and sear evenly until golden, drain and reserve.
To the pan add garlic, onions, carrots, remaining cumin, coriander and curry. Cook until fragrant, then add tomatoes, paste, brown sugar, bay leaves, cinnamon, chicken and lamb stock. Transfer everything into a large pot and bring to a simmer. While simmering adjust the salt, pepper and brown sugar to taste.
Add the lamb cover tightly and place in a pre-heated 300 degree oven. Cook slowly until lamb is tender, about 2 hours. Serve hot with steamed Cous Cous and California Raisins.
This recipe yields ?? servings.