Vodka Rigatoni, Spicy Italian
Rigatoni is the perfect type of pasta for holding the rich, spicy flavors of this recipe. Its fresh herbs, sausage and cheese add a savory spin to this classic Italian favorite.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds hot ground sausage, or a mix of 1 pound hot and 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Redpack® Crushed Tomatoes in Puree
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Parmesan cheese, or shredded Romano cheese
- 2 cups half & half
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- 1 (16 ounce) package rigatoni pasta, cooked and drained
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 140mins
Adapted from redpack.com
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic, sausage and onion in the oil for 10 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, salt, black pepper, wine and 1 cup grated cheese. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
Add the half & half and vodka, simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Serve over pasta and top with remaining cheese.
Calories: 410 | Fat: 23.0g | Trans Fats: 0g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 1130mg | Carbohydrate: 34g | Fiber: 3g | Protein: 19g