Spice-Roasted Cauliflower With Barley Salad
- Kosher salt
- 2 heads cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 navel oranges, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked barley
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped mint
- 1/2 cup Lucques or other mild green olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Adapted from wsj.com
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bring a medium pot filled with salted water to a boil over high heat. Blanch cauliflower until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain and toss dry.
In a baking dish, toss cauliflower with spices, ¼ cup olive oil and a pinch of salt. Spread cauliflower out in a single layer and roast, flipping half way through, until browned and crisp in spots, about 20 minutes.
Zest 1 orange. Supreme oranges: Use a knife to trim top and bottom from fruit. Set fruit on end and, slicing from top to bottom following curve of fruit, cut away peel and pith. Release each section by inserting blade between membrane and flesh on either side and removing loosened flesh. Reserve membrane.
In a bowl, toss supremes, zest, barley, almonds, mint and olives. Season with remaining oil, lemon juice and salt. Squeeze juice from reserved membrane over salad.