Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
The recipe for this yummy lemon pie comes from my grandmother. It's a lovely, special dessert that feels like "home."—Merle Dyck, Elkford, British Columbia
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), baked
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and butter until butter is melted. Set aside and keep warm.
For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
Pour filling into crust. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
You'll also love
- Slow cooker creamy chicken and... 4.5/5 (34 Votes)
- Greek Style Vegan Orzo with... 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Super Moist Banana Nut Muffin Tops 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Grilled Cabbage Wedges with Spicy... 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Creamy Key Lime Chicken Enchiladas 4.5/5 (34 Votes)
- Parmesan-Green Bean and Lemon... 4.5/5 (34 Votes)