Louisiana Roast Bef
- 1/4 C very finely chopped onions
- 1/4 C very finely chopped celery
- 1/4 C very finely chopped green pepper
- 2 Tbl. margarine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 boneless good-quality beef roast with a layer of fat on top...4 lbs.
In a small bowl combine the onions, celery, bell peppers, butter and seasonings, mixing well. Place the roast in a large roasting pan, fat side up. With a knife, make 6-12 deep slits in the meat (to form pockets) down to the depth of about 1-1/2" from the bottom...DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Fill the pockets to their depths with the vegetable mixture, reserving about 1 Tbl. of the vegetables to rub over the top of the roast. Bake uncovered at 300 degrees until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees for medium done, about 3 hours. For rarer roasts cook to 140 degrees. Serve immediately topped with some of the pan drippings.