Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon - (13 slices)
In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onions until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook over medium high heat for 3 or 5 minutes. Add the cream, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool vegetable mixture.
In large bowl, combine the beef, pork, veal and vegetable mixture. Stir in the egg. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place a 9- by 5- by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan with the short side facing you. Take bacon slices and place them across the pan, slightly overlapping, to line the bottom and sides. Continue with the meat mixture, patting down to level. Fold the ends of the bacon strips up and over the ground meat mixture.
Place the loaf pan in a larger baking or roasting pan and fill the larger pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the loaf pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and continue to bake 30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees.
Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Carefully pour the juices out of the pan. Cut into 8 slices.
Serve with pan juices and "Garlic Mashed Potatoes" or Creamy "Mashed Potatoes With Caramelized Onions" (see recipes).
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Wine Recommendation: I like to drink one of my favorite reds with this dish, a wine that's as straight-forward and satisfying as the dish itself. Clos du Bois or Geyser Peak's Cabernet Sauvignon would be my choices, but you might have your own favorite.
You'll also love
- Sauerkraut, Mushroom, And Barley... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut-Crusted Tempeh 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Stefado - (Beef And Onion Stew) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Scallopini With Mushrooms And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Lemongrass Pork Tenderloin... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Curried Pork Chops With Brandied... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braised Red Cabbage With Fennel... 0/5 (0 Votes)