Enchilada Bean Soup
Dr. Neal Barnard's Brain Recipe
344 calories per
- 1/4 cup mild chili powder
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat pastry flour or masa haring
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups canned low-sodium red beans, with liquid
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 or 2 chipotles in adobo sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (optional)
1. Combine the chili powder, flour and cumin in a medium saucepan.
2. Place over medium heat and toast for about 2 minutes. If you smell the chili powder starting to get a heavy, bitter aroma, take the pan off the heat immediately.
3. Slowly stir about 1 cup of water into the pot until you have a semi-thick sauce.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Options: If you use the chipotles and/or oregano, add them when you add the beans.
5. Puree the soup using an immersion blender, adding extra water as needed to achieve a thick but not pasty texture.