Mexican Loaded Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries and a kick of Mexican flavors, the two compliment each other perfectly.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 limes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon Mexican hot sauce (Cholula)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles (optional, omit for dairy-free or vegan)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from acouplecooks.com
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Wash the sweet potatoes, leaving on the skin. Slice off the ends of each potato, then slice the potato in half lengthwise. Place the potato half cut side down and cut off a ¼-inch slice, then lay the slice on its side and cut it into several long strips. Repeat until all potatoes have been cut into fries. (See this video for inspiration, though our method is slightly different.) The pieces can be uneven but aim for as uniform of thickness as possible.
Place the fries in a large bowl; drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil, then add 1½ teaspoons garlic powder, 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, 1 tablespoon chili powder, and 2½ tablespoons cornstarch. Mix thoroughly to combine. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread the fries on the paper, placing them as far apart as possible.
Bake 15 minutes on one side, then flip the fries and bake 10 to 20 additional minutes until the fries are dry and slightly browned; watch them carefully as the cooking time can depend on the thickness and the heat of your oven. (If the majority of the fries seem soft, continue to cook.)
Meanwhile, make the cumin-lime "crema": finely mince 1 garlic clove and juice 2 limes. In a small bowl, stir together garlic and ¼ cup lime juice with 2 ½ tablespoons tahini, 1 tablespoon Mexican hot sauce (Cholula), 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon cumin, and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt.
Drain and rinse the black beans and sprinkle with a few pinches kosher salt.
When the fries are done, cool for about 5 minutes, then serve immediately. Some fries may be slightly soft, but the outside of the majority of the fries will be crispy. (Note: Fries are best right out of the oven; they become softer as they sit.) To serve, top the fries with black beans, cumin lime "crema", salsa, feta crumbles and cilantro leaves.
You'll also love
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.3/5 (530 Votes)
- Garlic Oven Fries 4.6/5 (83 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole with... 4.4/5 (64 Votes)
- Classic Sweet Potato Casserole 4.5/5 (49 Votes)
- Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Sissy's Special Hamburgers 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pepper Jack Tortilla Chips 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potatoes Au Gratin - Black Angus... 0/5 (0 Votes)