Spinach & Mushroom Hand Pies
These tasty vegetarian hand-held pies are perfect for an on-the-go meal or snack
- 1 1/2cups1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 6tablespoons6 tablespoons Hi-maize Fiber or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4cup1/4 cup (1 ounce) Vermont cheese powder or finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4teaspoon1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2cup1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 6tablespoons6 tablespoons ice water
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3cup1/3 cup diced onion
- 8ounces8 ounces white mushrooms, chopped
- 8ounces8 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1cup1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Tips from our bakers
- You may end up with extra filling, but not to worry. Use the filling in your favorite egg dish — omelet, frittata, scramble, etc. Or try it as a topping for pizza.
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1) To make the crust: Whisk together the dry ingredients.
2) Work in the butter until the mixture is unevenly crumbly. Add the cheese and water, mixing until the dough is cohesive.
3) Divide the dough in half, pat each half into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
4) To make the filling: Sauté the onion and mushrooms in the butter until softened.
5) Add the spinach, salt, and pepper, and cook until warmed through. Cool to room temperature.
6) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment.
7) Roll each piece of dough 1/4" thick. Cut out 10 rectangles (about 4" x 5"); a 5-wheel accordion cutter or pastry wheel both work well here.
8) Put 1/3 cup filling and 1 1/2 tablespoons cheddar cheese onto five of the rectangles. Brush a thin coating of water along the edge of each rectangle.
9) Stretch an unfilled rectangle over the filling, and crimp the edges of the pie with the tines of a fork to seal. Transfer to the baking sheets.
10) Bake the pies for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden.
11) Remove them from the oven, and serve warm.
Yield: 5 pocket pies.