SIMPLE BEER-BRAISED CABBAGE WITH BACON
Start to finish: 45 minutes (15 minutes active)
Nutrition information per serving: 140 calories; 80 calories from fat (57 percent of total calories); 9 g fat (3 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 15 mg cholesterol; 280 mg sodium; 10 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 1 g sugar; 4 g protein.
- 6 strips bacon, halved crosswise
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium (about 2 pounds) green cabbage, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 12-ounce bottle or can beer (any variety)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
Adapted from journaltimes.com
Heat a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, turning as needed, 5 to 6 minutes in all. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan, then return it to medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the cabbage and toss occasionally in the pot for 3 or 4 minutes, or until the cabbage begins to wilt and is well mixed with the onions.
Pour in the beer and bring to a simmer over medium-high. Partially cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium-low, then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and most of the liquid is evaporated. Crumble the reserved bacon and stir it into the cabbage. Serve hot or warm.
You'll also love
- Apple Pie Oat Muffins 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Broccoli & Sausage Pasta Bake 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- PORK CHOPS CORDON BLEU 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Sweet & Savory Pork Chops 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Roasted Butternut Squash with... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Schnitzel with Red Cabbage & Apples 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Creamy Lobster Bacon Spinach Quiche 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Kale, Cabbage and Ramen Salad 4.2/5 (9 Votes)